Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Strange Nature

I found something new today, which was just what I needed to find. Funny thing is, I didn't find much at all, but I thought about the fact that it's been a while since I've found a new bug in my backyard, and then there it was. And it's even more amazing than ever that in my seventh year of looking for bugs in my backyard I am still finding new species.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Some kind of fly, I think.


Other Bugs:
Praying mantis nymph

The hover fly larva is still feeding on aphids...

... and the ants are still acting like it isn't there. I wonder what it is about it that makes them ignore it.

Nature can be strange and eerie sometimes...




Caterpillar that was overtaken by some kind of fungus




Skipper

 My husband was working out in the yard and I found this tiny caterpillar in his hair. Here it is in the palm of his hand.

There's a particular area of our new property that is frequented by this species of dragonfly. I see them there almost every time I walk there, sometimes more than one.


Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.










No comments:

Post a Comment