Friday, June 5, 2020

Close Bug Encounters

Today I swear the bugs were messing with me. When I went out to get the mail, a mourning cloak butterfly zoomed right at me, flew a tight circle around me, and flew away about as fast as I have ever seen a butterfly fly. On my woods walk a dragonfly did just about the same thing, except that it hovered in front of me for a few seconds before speeding away. During my bug walk the hummingbird moth came back while I was standing by the patch of flowers where I saw it before, visited a couple of flowers about a foot in front of me, and flew away before I could focus my camera. And the Backyard Bug of the Day... well, let's just say it could have been a great deal more cooperative than it was.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Damselfly


 It appears to have something stuck to it. Parasites? Parasite eggs?


Other Bugs:
 Leaf beetle

I couldn't find the katydid nymphs yesterday, but they were there today:


 I found this bee marching through puddles. There's something wonky about one of its wings, and I don't know if it was damaged, and that's why the bee was walking, or was it just askew and waterlogged.

Multiflora rose with aphids, and ant, which protects aphids from predators, but not very well, because there are two lady beetles, which are aphid predators:

 If I was that aphid on the left I would fly away while the lady beetle devours the other aphid.

 Possibly a cockroach nymph?

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Nursery web spider

I think this is an orchard spider, feeding on a gnat.

No comments:

Post a Comment