Friday, June 26, 2020

Young Bugs

Today during my bug walk I started to realize that there was a common feature to a lot of the bugs I was finding. The song that started to play in my mind was "We Are Young." Overall the lyrics of the song have nothing to do with the bugs I saw, other than that title line. Many of the bugs, in fact, most of the bugs I saw today were immatures, nymphs and larvae. It's midsummer, so that makes sense, it's prime breeding and growing season for a lot of species of insects.
Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:
This is one of those youthful bugs, and brown lacewing larva (I am pretty sure, anyway).

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:
 
Eastern tiger swallowtail caterpillar on Virginia creeper leaf. Caterpillars, of course, are larvae.



The caterpillar was not alone on the leaf: while I was focusing on it I saw a mite crawl over it. I didn't get that shot, but there were many other mites on the leaf:
Okay, technically this picture should be in Arachnid Appreciation...

More larvae and nymphs:
Caterpillar

Two kinds of nymphs. The spiky, green one is a buffalo tree hopper nymph. I don't know what kind of hopper nymphs the white, fuzzy ones are.


Leaf hopper nymph

Leaf hopper nymph


More caterpillars:


Even younger than nymphs:
Eggs. Green stinkbug eggs, and I know that because I saw the stinkbug laying them. Unfortunately I accidentally scared her away before she finished. Otherwise she would have laid more of them.

Now some imagos, or adult insects:
Candy striped leaf hopper

I have a blog rule that if I manage to get a good picture of a tumbling flower beetle it becomes Backyard Bug of the Day for that day. This is not that day:

I got a decent picture of a thrips, though, which I didn't even see when I took the picture.


Bumblebees on milkweed. I have two milkweed patches in my backyard, and this one was full of bumblebees today. At any given moment at least half of the plants had at least one bumblebee on them.

Leaf bug

Moth

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Harvestman

No comments:

Post a Comment