Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Broken Wing

I almost thought I wouldn't be able to post anything today, because my camera stopped working. My husband fiddled around with it and got it to partially work, so I was able to do a bug walk, but it was into the evening and I had a hard time finding bugs. Who knows what my camera will decide to do tomorrow...

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Leaf hopper

 It has a damaged wing. Insects are very resilient. Its legs look okay, so I assume it can still hop.


Other Bugs:
 The Nessus sphinx moth was back.

 Weevil

 Last week (I think) I posted pictures of moths that look like bird droppings, which is a great way to keep from getting eaten, by looking like something that nothing wants to eat. But of course, there are things that like to eat bird droppings. However, I imagine that they are able to tell the difference between bird droppings and moths. In addition to the two flies there are a couple of gnats there.

 Cockroach between two leaves held together with silk. I don't know if the cockroach made that shelter, or just took advantage of another insect's work. If cockroaches can spin silk that is news to me.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Orchard spider

No comments:

Post a Comment