Monday, June 29, 2020

Bugs At Dusk

We had thunderstorms for most of the afternoon, so I was not able to go out to look for bugs until dusk. It's not the best time to look for bugs. It's a worse time to try to take pictures of them. So, I don't have much to show you today, in contrast to yesterday. There's a lot of thunderstorms in the forecast for the rest of the week, so other days may be like today.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
I think this is a tachinid fly.

Other Bugs:
I think this may also be a tachinid fly, but a much smaller species.

The fuzzy, white hopper nymphs I have been seeing all over the backyard are getting bigger and less fuzzy.

Candy striped leaf hopper

Some kind of hopper nymph

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The rain has knocked down most of the milkweed plants, and unfortunately I think most of them will stay knocked over. For this spider, though, who built a web on the leaning plants, it would probably be a good thing for them not to move back to how they were.

My husband found this spider in a bowl when he was making dinner. He thought it was dead, but I could tell otherwise. I moved it outside. It can't have been living in the bowl very long; we use that bowl a lot.




No comments:

Post a Comment