Sunday, June 14, 2020

Beetle Stages

Today I've got something a little bit different for Backyard Bug of the Day. I have two specimens of an insect from two different life cycles.

Backyard Bugs of the Day:
Lady beetle larva 

Lady beetle pupa:

It attaches itself to a leaf, and to my great fascination will move up and down if agitated.

Lady beetle imago (adult)

And since we're on insect life cycles, though these are not the Backyard Bugs of the Day:
Crane flies; male on the left, and the larger female on the right

And some eggs:
I think these are stinkbug eggs. The ones that look blue are open, and the blue is the inside color of the egg–not of what was in it, these are empty, but the inner wall of the egg.




I saw three species of dragonfly today. This is the only one I could get a photo of.

Leaf bug or grass bug on my husband's shirt

This is something quite disagreeable:
There is a muddy puddle in the cul-de-sac, and it is teeming with mosquito larvae. They are hard to see unless they are moving...

... so I have magnified a few.

The strange grouping of chrysalides remains, still guarded by three tiny wasps:

Sometimes the shape of a chrysalide can give you a little bit of a hint of what's inside, and these do look a little tiny bit like wasps.

Bumblebee

 Leaf hopper

Beetle

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Six-spotted orb weaver








No comments:

Post a Comment