Saturday, June 6, 2020

Lonely Flowers

I've noticed this year in particular that there are some flowers that have not had a good blooming year, while others are more abundant than I have ever seen them. The daffodils and crocuses were sparse, but the dandelions had their best year ever. The dogwoods barely bloomed, but the multiflora rose:
 Interesting thing, though–I stood and observed this wall of flowers for several minutes and not a single insect visited them. No pollinators at all. It was a nice day (at that time–there was a thunderstorm later), albeit hot, the flowers were in the sunshine, they smelled amazing, and no bugs were attracted to them. I don't know what that means, if anything. It seemed weird to me, though.

Not that there aren't any multiflora rose plants with insects on them:
 The katydid nymphs are still hanging around, and today they were both on flowers, but I think they just eat the petals and the leaves. They may brush up against the reproductive parts of the plants, but I don't think they would be considered pollinators.


 Another katydid nymph, on a daisy. With an ant.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Crane fly

Other Bugs:
 I don't know why I think that bugs covered in pollen are so adorable, but I do.

 Weevil

Scorpionfly. Female–note that the back end of her abdomen does not curl up like a scorpion tail the way a male's does.

No comments:

Post a Comment