Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Dodging Thunderstorms

My bug walk today took place in a break between storms. The break wasn't long enough to do my full walk–when the thunder started up again, I had to go back inside. We've now had the good, soaking rain we needed. If it didn't rain tomorrow as forecast, I would be okay with that. Or at least, if it could time the rain for a different part of the day, so I wouldn't have to do my bug walk in the evening when it's heading toward darkness? That would be great.
Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:
Some kind of fly.

It appears to be a female, and if you look carefully, she's ovipositing, laying her eggs in that bit of vegetation caught on the plant stem.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:
Stinkbug nymph




In spite of the rain, and the lateness of my bug walk, there were still a lot of bees, mostly bumblebees, on the milkweed plants:

There's a long-legged fly in this shot, too, on the same leaf as the bee.


There were several species of bumblebees.

Notice also the plant bug on the bloom at the top of the picture.


There is a raspberry vine growing in a flowerpot at the bottom of the back porch steps, and for the last two days there has been a swarm of sweat bees zooming around that plant. It doesn't have flowers on it, so I don't know why they like it. They rarely land on the leaves like this one.

I think this is called a tarnished plant bug:


Hopper nymphs:


Mosquito

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Feeding on a bee




No comments:

Post a Comment