Monday, November 7, 2016

Flying in Sunshine

No Backyard Bug of the Day again today - there was nothing that hasn't been there for the last few days. I made a point of going out a little earlier in the afternoon today, so that it was still bright out, and I think that's why the March flies were more active. There was a definite chill in the air.

Some of those active March flies:
 This may be the clearest picture I have ever taken of a March fly flying.



Let's magnify those:



 Usually when I get to close to a swarm, they will all land. These landed on a leaf that was already occupied by a candy striped leaf hopper.

 

 
 The ambush bug captured a March fly.

 It wasn't until I found this tree cricket that I noticed that I wasn't hearing any crickets in the backyard. I did hear some down by the rocks near the street, but it's warmer there.

 Same tree; winter firefly

 I was happy to see a dandelion today. I didn't notice until later that this is also a picture of a bug.



Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment