Monday, November 12, 2018

Spotting the Impossible

I was walking around my backyard today, not finding many bugs, and thinking about what it was I was likely to find, and I thought to myself, "well, I know I am not going to find any caterpillars."

And then I found this–Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Looper caterpillar of some kind.



 I can't believe I even spotted it.


Nowadays my bug walk always starts with looking at the chrysanthemums, as the most likely spot to find insects. Today was warmer than yesterday by a few degrees, but they were sort of important degrees, taking it from right around the no-bugs threshold to a more bug-friendly feel (though honestly, still not by much. And it IS mid-November):
There were hover flies...


... One bee, and one gnat...

 
 ... and this nymph still hanging around on its flower, but underneath it today. Being a Hemiptera, it is not necessarily after just the flower's nectar, but the plant's liquids in general, so it can probably feed just about anywhere on the plant.

I only found two March flies today:

 ... and neither of them were female. I hope the males are finding females, or there won't be any more March flies.

I didn't find as many tree crickets today, but a few of them were in the same places they were yesterday. Interestingly, they were on the same trees, but not in the same exact places or positions, so they did move around at least some:



 And one winter firefly, walking around, so you can see its head (which they keep tucked under their pronotum when they are just resting).




No comments:

Post a Comment