Sunday, November 11, 2018

Freezing Point

We all learn in science class about freezing points, the temperature at which a liquid become a solid (and also that same solid become a liquid when the temperature is trending in the opposite direction), and that the freezing point of water is 32ºF/0ºC. There's a similar point for insects, but it's not so precise. Not a temperature at which they freeze (although I guess there is that), but the temperature at which they just disappear from view. In my observations over the last few years I have found that to be around 40ºF. Warmer than that, and I will find insects. Colder than that, and I won't find any, not winter fireflies, not winter crane flies, nothing. But like I said, it's not precise. There are microclimates, so maybe the sensor on my back porch says it's 39ºF outside, but somewhere in the sun, the trunk of a tree or a rock face, might be warm enough for something to be out. Today was in the low 40s, so we have not dipped below the No Bugs temperature. It's too cold for a lot of things, but not for everything. The bugs I found today were somewhat surprising, though.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Dragonfly. Not what I was expecting so late in the season, and when it's so cold.

 It's quite a small one.

 When I first spotted it, it was on the side of the house. Its wings are quite beat up.

Something else I was not expecting with the temperature in the low 40s? A lot of tree crickets:


 Yesterday this tree trunk had several winter fireflies. Today it had one winter firefly and a couple of tree crickets.

 This is the one in the photo above.

I heard one cricket chirping today, but I don't think it was a tree cricket. My question is, why were these all out today? Several of them were on the shady side of trees, so I know they weren't soaking up warmth from the sunshine. And where have they been lately?


Other Bugs:
 Twice-stabbed ladybeetle

 This little one is still hanging out on its flower, the only insect on the chrysanthemums today. Based on the fact that it doesn't have wings, I suspect it was on the plant already when I brought it home from the garden center. This, of course, is how invasive species can spread, sometimes from country to country, when plants are moved around. Not that I am saying this is an invasive species, but that is one way that they make their way around the world, on imported plants.

 There were a lot of flies around today, mostly basking in the sunshine on the side of the house. Or on tree trunks.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A tiny spider:


No comments:

Post a Comment