Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Dueling Measurments

I have two rain gauges in my backyard now, and they don't ever agree on how much rain we've had. Today, one said we had a tiny bit over 3", and the other said we had a little under 1.75". I was inclined to believe the lower amount, because it seemed more likely, but then I noticed that there were puddles in the backyard. And then I noticed that the ground was squishy. And then I found a new, small pond, and decided that the 3" measurement was probably the more accurate one. Finding all of this water meant one thing for me while looking for bugs: look on the surface of the water. And that's where I found today's Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Springtail. I was hoping for more of them, but this is the only one I saw. They are so tiny they can stand on the surface of the water, and the breeze blows them around.

 With all the rain, everything was waterlogged, and I think that includes this sweat bee:
 This was the only insect on the chrysanthemums today. I actually thought it was dead at first, but I saw it move.

I only found one tree cricket today:
 I can see why the others went for shelter.


 March fly, male

 Fly

 Moth

 I think this is a different species of March fly (there are many). It might be a female, I didn't get a good look at it.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
 The springtail was not alone on the puddle. There was an incredibly tiny spider there, too. And I can't tell, but that white speck might be another kind of springtail?

Here's a bit of magnification on them both:

 
 Crawling around in the leaf litter


No comments:

Post a Comment