Friday, November 9, 2018

Lepidopteran Pollinator

I can't wait for spring. That's what I think when I look at my backyard now. Sigh...

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Moth. I have seen moths feeding on flowers, particularly on goldenrods, but I have been a little surprised at how often I have found them on the chrysanthemums. Butterflies are the flashier, more famous Lepidopteran pollinators, but moths do a lot of it, too.

If it wasn't for the chrysanthemums I would be seeing a lot fewer insects in my backyard the last couple of weeks.
 Crane fly

This nymph is still hanging around on its flower.

Female mosquito. I can't bring myself to swat them if they are not trying to bite me.

There were no swarming March flies today, but I did find them resting on (or under) leaves all over the backyard. Still no females, though:



 

 I did see a small swarm of these crane flies (possibly winter crane flies), but they tend to land when I get close; that's how I got this shot.

 Crane flies were everywhere today.

 Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Six-spotted orb weaver


No comments:

Post a Comment