Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Entomological Irony

How about a little bit of meteorological/entomological irony?

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Today is the first day of spring (meteorological spring) and the Backyard Bug of the Day is a Winter Firefly. And yes, I know that the first day of spring is arbitrarily decided by human conventions, and not based on the actual climate conditions, and that the name winter firefly is also a human designation, and that winter fireflies actually become active in the spring (and are called winter fireflies because they sometimes come out on nice winter days), but still, I thought it was funny.

 As a bonus today, the firefly flexed its elytra and so for the first time ever I got a glimpse of what is underneath. It was a pleasant surprise to see a bright magenta color! I think this might actually be the first time I have ever seen a winter firefly move - usually when I see them they are just sitting on the bark of a tree, but this one was walking around.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Itsy bitsy spider

No comments:

Post a Comment