Monday, February 29, 2016

So Long, Meteorological Winter!

Today was the last day of meteorological winter, and, like most days recently, it felt like spring, complete with a bit of spring rain. It only rained for a little while, though, so I did manage to get outside to look for bugs. I didn't find any (more on that later), but I did find this:
 I don't know if you can tell what this is from the picture, but it is a mole tunnel. I have found them in several places in the yard the last two days. I have never seen mole tunnels in February before, I don't think.

I did not find any bugs on my bug walk (except for spotting a few gnats flying), but I did come home this evening to find a few bugs on the porch, attracted to the porch light. This is the first time in quite a while I have had porch light bugs. Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Moth. Quite small.

 There were a few midges, too.

As I said before, I didn't find any bugs on my bug walk, but I did find a spider, so here's Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
It was quite small, and I often wonder when I find a small spider if it is a species that is just small, or if it is not full grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment