Thursday, March 10, 2016

Spring Flowers Bring...

When I took pictures of the first blooming crocus in the backyard yesterday I was surprised that there were no bugs in it. In colder years sometimes the first bugs I find in the spring are the ones that appear in the crocuses when they bloom. It's almost difficult to take a picture of a crocus without a bug in it. The same crocus, and the two new ones blooming beside it today still didn't have any bugs in them. But there was another crocus blooming...

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 The first bee of the year! I think it is a sweat bee.






... aaaaaaaaand the only other bug I got a picture of today. Cute little beetle.

 Regarding seeds...
 The nut that was sitting in this tree yesterday is gone.

 Last summer's peach crop

Once again I found a lot of spiders. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 It is simply baffling to me that everyone does not find jumping spiders adorable. This one was on my bedroom window. Windows are great for taking pictures of bugs from an angle you don't normally see.

 Of course, for some people that is pretty horrifying.

So, the first spider I found today was on my bedroom window, less than a minute after I got up. The next two I found at the bottom of the back porch steps:
 This one was not very cooperative...


 This one was on the cover of the barbecue grill (as was the beetle above. And a slug, but I didn't take a picture of the slug).

 A spider with its prey.


 Zoomed in version of the above shot, showing how strange this spider's eyes are.

This is a couple more species of spiders for the week, by the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment