Thursday, March 24, 2016

Where Is Everybody?

Well, this'll be quick.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Bumblebee in the rock garden. I didn't see this on my bug walk, I spotted it through the window a few hours later and went out to take its picture. Fortunately there are a lot of flowers blooming in the rock garden, so it stuck around long enough for me to get out there with my camera.

And that's it. Unless you count the bee in this flower:
 I didn't take a close-up because I think it's the same bee that was in there yesterday, and it appears to be either unconscious or dead. I don't know why a bee would die in a flower, but it looks like it did.

I don't know where all the bugs were today, but they were not in my backyard.

Fortunately there were spiders about, or my bug walk would have been a complete waste. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 As I was taking this picture of a spider on my chaise I contemplated how often I find spiders and insects on my lawn furniture. It does make me slightly less eager to spend time sitting outdoors on that furniture. I like to look at bugs and spiders; I don't want them crawling up my shorts.

I saw at least ten of what I have taken to calling leaf litter spiders:
 Here's one...

 ... and here's another...

... and here's another. I know, they all look like the same spider, but they are not. I saw them in different places in the backyard, and at one point, looking at the leaf litter at my feet I saw 6 within about 3 feet of each other. Most of them move too fast for me to get pictures of them. It does reinforce my belief that there are probably a lot of bugs hiding out in the leaf litter, because that food source would be a reason for so many spiders to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment