Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Bluebirds of Happiness

You know how much I love to color blue, so today was a treat for me. Not because of blue skies, though.

Backyard Birds of the Day:
 A pair of bluebirds!

 They were scoping out one of the bluebird houses I put up years ago. I don't think they are going to build there, because it's in pretty sad shape - every year I mean to replace it, and every year birds build a nest in it before I get a chance. It's always been wrens, though. I'd love it if the bluebirds moved in.

 The female is the more muted one on the left, and the male the brighter blue on the right.

 They checked the house out pretty thoroughly.

 They checked out the neighborhood, too. My backyard has changed since we made the bluebird houses, and it's not really bluebird habitat-ish anymore, but if they want to stay, they're welcome.

 By the way, the house is not as crooked at the pictures make it appear. It was the camera that was crooked.
 I thought it was a bit early in the season for birds to be nesting, but I looked it up, and bluebirds scout out nesting locations from February through mid-March, so I guess they're right on time. So now I know that next year I need to get the house replaced before that.




Also, a nuthatch.

It was too cold for bug searching today, so the birds are all you're going to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment