Sunday, March 27, 2016

A Spring First

The exciting thing in the backyard today was a butterfly, the first butterfly of the season. I was thrilled to see it.

The bad news, blogwise, is that I didn't get anywhere near close enough to get a picture of it, so you don't get to see it. I think it was an American copper, but I didn't get a good enough look at it to be sure. It fed on the flowers in the rock garden, then flitted away to rest next to the driveway, and then it took off through a brambly area where I could not follow. Frankly, given how chilly it was today, I am surprised that it was so active. I almost didn't bother to even do a bug walk, because I thought it would be too cold to find anything.

Sigh.

There will be more butterflies, am sure, and hopefully they will be more cooperative. But it is a little disappointing that this first one got away.

 You can see why this would be enticing to butterflies, right? Although, I seldom see butterflies in the rock garden. Mostly bumblebees (but not today).

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Just kidding. I got a better picture than that.

 Not a lot better, though.

 This was not a cooperative wasp.

 It was tiny. And I think female - I think that is an ovipositor sticking out the back, not a sting.


 Random Bugs:
 Winter firefly

 Another little wasp that fluttered onto the ground in front of me...

 ... and then flew up onto a tree branch.

 No spiders today.

No comments:

Post a Comment