Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Sure Things

I didn't have time to do a full bug walk today, so I just went to places where I could most expect to find bugs.

That meant the rock garden, where the creeping myrtle is in bloom. Given that it was chilly, the abundance of bugs from the warm days last week was not to be expected. I only found one insect, though. Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Sawfly.

 I have mixed feelings about sawflies. They're pretty cool looking insects. And their larvae are an interesting mix of awesome and creepy. But I don't particularly want to see this in that particular location, right next to the big bush in front of the house, because in the past sawfly larvae have done some severe damage to that bush. When they lay eggs in smaller numbers on other plants I am cool with it, but I don't want them to kill things I have planted.




The bee is still in that daffodil...
 ... and it is really hard to take pictures of insects inside daffodils.

 Some of the tiny caterpillars ventured out along the branch today.

 I think maybe these are eastern tent caterpillars.

I found a spider in a place I did not expect... Arachnid Appreciation:.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Before I went upstairs to go to bed last night I went into the kitchen to get a drink of water and found this spider in the sink. I left it there, but I did mention to it that the kitchen sink was a risky place for a spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment