Sunday, April 22, 2018

Lazy Sunday

I must confess to being a terribly negligent backyard bug blogger today. It was a gorgeous, sunny, warm day, and I went off elsewhere to do other things instead of looking for bugs in my backyard. I finally did do a bug walk when I got home in the evening (and I love daylight savings time because I can do a bug walk after 6 in the evening now), but it was definitely past prime bug time. When we went out for the day, the rock garden was teeming with many bees, of different species. When I did my bug walk there were just a few bumblebees. Not that I don't like bumblebees, but I also like variety.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Yeah, it's a gnat. I thought it was pretty cool, though, because it was doing a circus high-wire act on a spider thread. It wasn't stuck; not all spider threads are sticky, including the ones that spiders use to travel from place to place.

 Moth on the window

 One of the aforementioned bumblebees. I have noticed that late in the day they like to just hang out on the side of the house for a while.


 Today all of the tiny caterpillars switched sides again on their egg mass. They were back on the path side.


 
 I think this is another species of sawfly. I have seen 4 or 5 in the past week, I think.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.




No comments:

Post a Comment