Sunday, April 8, 2018

Awkward

Today was definitely one of those days when I was outside in my yard with my camera hoping that none of my neighbors were watching me out the window, because I am sure I looked weird and eccentric, crouching down awkwardly and precariously on a steep slope, among branches and leaf litter, in a nice skirt, taking pictures of a snake. Ah, well, that's the life of a backyard nature blogger.

From my attire you may surmise that I was going out, and that would be a correct surmise. So I only had a few minutes to look around in the backyard, and therefore... this will be a very short blog.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Moth.

I like alliteration, and that is why I call the Backyard Bug of the Day Backyard Bug of the Day even when it is not, technically a bug, meaning an insect from the Order Hemiptera. That doesn't apply in the case of Backyard Amphibian of the Day or Backyard Reptile of the Day, and in both of those cases it's kind of pointless for me to be so broad in assigning taxonomic categories: the only amphibians I ever see are frogs and toads (slightly inaccurate: I have seen 2 salamanders in 19 years), and the only reptiles I ever see are snakes (completely accurate: I have never seen a turtle or tortoise, and I don't think there are even lizards that live in CT. And I have certainly never seen a crocodile). Be that as it may, I am sticking with these categories. So.. Backyard Reptile of the Day:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 The little snake was back today. The little snake has an interesting habit none of the others have had, which is that it hangs out slightly under the leaf litter. This is why I am never going to rake the leaves in that spot. Ever.


I caught a bit of tongue flicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment