Tuesday, September 1, 2015

We Need Rain

Today is the first day of meteorological autumn. It felt more like the middle of summer, but my bug findings were more like the end of autumn. I hardly found any at all. I didn't go out until evening, because I missed my chance in the morning before it got hot, and it was a very disappointing search. I am still going with my hypothesis that the low number of bugs to be found these days is a result of the lack of rain. The grass is crunchy. The leaves on some of the trees are turning prematurely. I think since I came home almost two weeks ago we have had rain once, and it was about 1/8 of an inch. We need some rain, and some cooler weather, and we're not going to get either of those soon.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Assassin bug. Doing that thing where it thinks I can't see it if it pulls its legs in next to its body. Except I just chuckle because it really looks like a broken umbrella.

The Other Bug I Saw Today:
I found the caterpillar on that milkweed plant. Milkweed tussock moth caterpillar.

Okay, yes, I did see other bugs. Mostly little moths that flutter around the grass. But I didn't see many more than this, and these are all the pictures I got.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment