Sunday, September 27, 2015

La Luna, La Bella Luna!

It was not what was in my backyard, but what was above it that was most interesting today. Well, tonight, rather.

 Due to some sort of miracle, the sky was perfectly clear for the lunar eclipse tonight. That would be the silver lining to the Never Rain policy the weather has been working under lately. Of course, I know the eclipse was not just in my yard, but in the yards of millions of other people. But this isn't a blog about their yards.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is a caddisfly of some kind. Attracted to the porch light.

The temperature got down into the 30s last night - it was 39ºF at 7:45 in the morning. Not propitious for finding bugs in the morning, so I waited until afternoon, and still barely found any bugs.

Random Bugs:
 This acted just like a hoverfly, but I have never seen one of this color combination. But it looks more like a fly than a bee... If I was less lazy than I am I would look it up right now...  Okay, I got someone to hand me the bug book, and my search was inconclusive, so I guess we'll never know.

 Assassin bug

 Candy striped leaf hopper

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.




No comments:

Post a Comment