Tuesday, September 29, 2015

It's Not Raining

Does it count as having rained if you can literally count the raindrops? No? Then it didn't rain today, in spite of the forecast insisting that it would. The forecast says it is going to rain every day for the next week or so, which means it won't. It was very cloudy for most of the day, though, so that's something, I guess. There was apparently so much rain there was flooding in other parts of the northeast, but certainly not here.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I thought this was a squash bug, but when I looked it up, it doesn't look like the squash bugs in my book. It seems to fall into the category of leaf-footed bugs, though, so let's go with that. Hemiptera.

Random Bugs:
 Two looper caterpillars. I don't know if their different colors mean different species.

Cricket


 Assassin bug

 Bee and yet another looper caterpillar

 Hopper of some kind. I was holding onto the leaf when it hopped off, and I actually felt the vibration of its launch. Most impressive.

 Small milkweed bugs

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 I think this one is new for me. Some kind of orb weaver.

 These are everywhere. It doesn't blend in nearly as well on this milkweed seed pod, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment