Monday, September 21, 2015

Good Morning, Glory

Ah... September. It finally feels like it. And right along with September weather comes one of my favorite things about September:
 Morning glory. Glorious. I plant them every year, and wait patiently through the summer for them. They brighten up a time of year when a lot of other things are dying. Also, they are my favorite color.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is a clouded sulphur butterfly. It also could be a cloudless sulphur, or one other species I can't remember right now. But I think it is a clouded sulphur. It is also the butterfly that was so uncooperative yesterday. It was only slightly cooperative today, so I didn't get a closer shot. So...

 Here's that same picture, zoomed in. I like the tinge of pink along the edge of the wings.

Random Bugs:
 It was cold last night, down in the 40s. I think this bee was sunning itself on this rock to warm up.

 Hoverfly, or some other kind of flower fly

 'Tis the season for tiny looper caterpillars on goldenrod. They're hard to spot at this size, but I am starting to find them around.

 This just looks uncomfortable.

 Assassin bug

 Honeybee

Moth. I should really try to find out what this is sometime, but I have a feeling this is one of those things where there are a thousand that look the same.


 Hoverfly

 Grasshopper

Bee or wasp?

The bees were quite aggressive today when we were trying to eat lunch outside - well, actually, they became aggressive when we finished our lunch. Eventually I had to go inside to get away from them. I think that is highly ungrateful of them to treat me so.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 This isn't a great picture, but...

 ... Zoomed in you get a great view of (some of) the spider's eyes!

 This spider was about the size of a pin head.


 See the anchoring thread?


No comments:

Post a Comment