Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The Persistence of Drizzle

 For a while I thought there would be no bug walk today, because it was drizzling pretty persistently. And then when it had more or less stopped, I didn't want to change my clothes and go out in the wet backyard for what I assumed would be a futile search for bugs. So when I went out to get the mail I decided just to have a look around and see if there were even any bugs to be found. I assumed there would not be, I just wanted to prove to myself that it would be pointless to make the effort.

Well, I'm posting, so you can probably guess how that all turned out.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

I don't know what this is. I can't even conjecture where to look it up. It's tiny, so small and unobtrusive that I would not have seen it if it hadn't been moving. It is on a dead tree trunk, and when it moved into this crevice in the bark I had a hard time finding it.

See what I mean?


Other Bugs:

This wasp hasn't moved since yesterday. Note the big drop of rain right behind its head. I am not sure if it is alive.

Tree louse

There were fewer candy striped leafhoppers to be seen today, but there were a few groups around.

 Some days I can find milkweed bugs, and some days I think they are all gone away somewhere. Today I found some large milkweed bugs on a milkweed seed pod, inside which I suspect they all huddled up the other night when we had a frost:



And I found some small milkweed bugs on some goldenrod:


I found another case moth caterpillar:









No comments:

Post a Comment