Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Forgetfulness

 I spent a long time on my bug walk today, but I can't really remember it. I'm so distracted lately. I've lost my sense of time. I do remember that I almost forgot to cover a whole quadrant of my yard on my walk. I was about to walk back in the door when I remembered that I had a whole section still to cover. I almost decided not to do it, because I doubted there would be much to see, but I have too much blogger integrity, I guess, so I finished the walk, and that section of it is where I found today's Backyard Bug of the Day:

Leafhopper. I think this is a new species for me. The moral of the story here is something to do with finishing the walk even though I didn't really feel like it. I don't know why I didn't want to do it; I enjoy being outside (even in bleak weather like we had today), and it's not like I was going to finish my walk and say, "Ugh. I regret doing that." It's this depressing, discouraging year talking. And the bleak weather. I would be happier about this find if this bug had been more cooperative, or really cooperative at all. You're probably thinking it was fine, because I got this picture, but you haven't seen the other twenty-five blurry shots I took. If this wasn't a new bug for me I would not have put forth such an effort, I can assure you. And now I am babbling, and not about anything remotely interesting regarding this bug. To make up for it, I just tried looking up the name of this bug, and I didn't find it, so... 

Other Bugs:

Crane fly. I posted one of these yesterday, and I probably should have made it Backyard Bug of the Day then, because I think it is a new species for me. I can't be sure, though. After all these years of studying the bugs in my backyard, it's impossible to remember everything I have seen, and differentiate between a lot of very similar things. There are a number of species of crane flies. (Also, I could be wrong about the leaf hopper above being a new species for me. But we're going with that idea because it makes me feel better).

More aphids with wings today. Much maligned, but fascinating and cute.

Leafhopper or planthopper

There were a few more march flies around today, but so far all of the ones I have seen have been male.

Large milkweed bugs have been scarce the last couple of days, I think I only saw one each day, but today was a little bit warmer, so this bunch was out on the seed pod. I suspect that when it was cold the last couple of days they were huddled up inside the pod with all the fluff. 

These two are still in just about the same place they were yesterday; the bee is underneath the same flower, and the caterpillar has just moved down the stem of the plant–you can see the leaf above that it has eaten about half of.

The bee had shifted a bit, so I could get a better shot of it today.


A couple of rove beetles:


Beetle

A case moth caterpillar on autumn joy sedum instead of goldenrod

The pretty leaf beetle comes and goes, always on the same tree trunk.
 

Spiders have been scarce lately, with so little to feature in Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Jumping spider.













No comments:

Post a Comment