Monday, October 12, 2020

Small Expectations

 It was cold and rainy today, so when I went outside for my bug walk I had no expectation at all of finding any insects. Therefore I was incredibly surprised when this turned out to be one of the buggier bug walks I have had in recent weeks. I realize that's not saying much, and the wind kept me from getting pictures of everything, but it was still greater than expectations. Practically right outside the door I found this:

What's this, you ask? Well, there are three insects on this plant (which is an aster)...

A wasp, a looper caterpillar...

... and a lightly damp bumblebee. All three insects were pretty lethargic with the temperature only in the mid-50s, but that made them a little bit easier to photograph. When it's cold they are not so quick to fly away (not that the caterpillar can do that... yet).

Backyard Bug of the Day:

Leafhopper. I think this is the first one of this species that I have seen this year. Usually I see these quite regularly. I think it is a Bespeckled Leafhopper.

Other Bugs:

Another looper, this on on autumn joy sedum

 

Yesterday on this seed pod there was one large milkweed bug nymph; today there was one adult. I obviously can't tell if this is the same bug, transformed into an adult since yesterday.

On another nearby plant, where there were no milkweed bugs to be seen yesterday, there were several nymphs and adults.

When I spotted this duo I thought I was seeing an odd new bug, until I looked closer and found out it was two ants having a shoving match.

This elegant insect appears to be a winged ant. I didn't see any others from a swarm, though.
 
Leafhopper

Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

I found this scenario. I don't know if either the leafhopper or the spider knew the other was there. 

It's a beautiful spider



A currently ubiquitous crab spider

It's a pity I didn't get a better picture of this spider, because it's a new species for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment