Monday, October 19, 2020

Notice

 Sometimes it takes a while to notice that something is missing. So I wonder, when the day comes that it is too cold for crickets, will I walk outside and immediately notice that they have gone quiet, or will it take a while for it to sink in that I am not hearing them? I do notice them right away when I go outside these days, and if for some reason I could not simply feel how warm or cold it was, I might be able to tell based on how loud and numerous the crickets sound. I guess that remains to be seen. It did take me a while today to notice that for the first time in ages it was not windy outside, possibly because there was still enough of a breeze to make photography difficult. The problem lately is that so many of the bugs I find are on leaves, as opposed to tree trunks or some other solid surface. And even the tiniest breeze will send a leaf dancing on its stem, foiling attempts to photograph the tiny creatures upon them.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

Yesterday I found a case moth caterpillar that did not have a case yet. Today I found a couple that did. These are really tiny caterpillars.





Other Bugs:

Just the potters wasp on the asters today. You can see that there's not much bloom left in them. I wish the chrysanthemums would hurry up and bloom so there would still be flowers in my backyard.


Thread-waisted wasp

Lots of candy striped leafhoppers congregating on leaves again today:



I haven't been seeing stilt bugs lately, but today I found one in the asters patch. About a month ago there was at least one on every plant. Today there was just one.

I was able to find one ailanthus webworm today. The others have all pulled leaves in around their webs in recent days, and I can't see into them; they are probably pupating now. But this one still had some openings into its web.
 

After not seeing spiders for a couple of days, I found several different species today for Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

This is a new spider for me this year; this is my second sighting. It looks like a grumpy face with a mustache on its back end.

I found a really pretty spider:


Jumping spider









No comments:

Post a Comment