Friday, October 9, 2020

At Last

 It is with a sense of relief that I sometimes spot insects lately. If I see something that I have been expecting to find but have not been able to thus far, I am glad to see it. Even if it's not an exciting bug, if that mundane insect has been conspicuously absent it is good to finally find one. 

Today I finally found some loopers on the goldenrod (and an aster):




Those would be Backyard Bugs of the Day, but the pictures aren't good, so instead...

Backyard Bug of the Day:

Cypress Leaf Beetle. It's smaller than it probably appears in this picture, maybe a little more than an eight of an inch long.

Other Bugs:

Crane fly on autumn joy sedum

Lady beetles:



Striped Garden Caterpillar:

I don't often get pictures of caterpillars from this vantage point.




You may have noticed lately that the background colors of my pictures are not so green anymore.

Yesterday's Backyard Bug of the Day is still in the same spot, but it has shifted a little, so I was able to get a better shot of its face:

Not a great shot, but a better shot.

 

Large milkweed bugs on a seedpod that is releasing its seeds:

Two adults and a nymph

Assassin bug

I don't always get the shot I want.

Weevil

Leafhoppers. I still don't know if these are two different species, or if this is intraspecific variation of the candy striped leaf hopper.

Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Crab spider





No comments:

Post a Comment