Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Holding On

 Today's bug walk was cut short due to rain, but it didn't make a huge difference in the number of bugs I found. And we didn't even get much rain out of it. Fortunately, we also didn't get quite the gale force winds that were forecast, but it was windy enough that it made photography difficult. I was actually really impressed with the Backyard Bug of the Day as it sat on a leaf that was being thrashed about by the wind and did not get blown off.

By the way, I had a thought earlier today that if you had told me twenty years ago that I would ever be disappointed that there were not enough bugs in my backyard I would have thought you were crazy.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

Crane fly

I haven't posted any pictures of bees lately, but it's not because there aren't any bees. There are still bumblebees and honeybees, mostly, and a few sweat bees. I just try not to always post the same things, and they have been very active, making them hard to photograph (my honeybee pictures today were not a success). But here's a cute bumblebee on an aster:


Wasp. Female; you can just barely see her ovipositor as it is curled upward in this shot.

Planthopper

Woolly bear caterpillar found on my woods walk




No comments:

Post a Comment