Monday, October 19, 2015

Tree Dwellers

Tomorrow we are supposed to return to our regularly scheduled October, but today was still really cold. It was supposed to be "much warmer" than yesterday, but only managed about 6 degrees above yesterday's high, so today once again we stayed in the 40s. It was still in the 30s by noon, so I was pretty skeptical we'd reach that glorious 50ºF anyway. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting to find many bugs today. And I didn't find a lot, but what I did find was quite interesting to me.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 A leaf hopper. Quite an unexpected sight today.

And then I saw a lot of tree crickets today, all huddling on the trunks of trees:





And there were other crickets on the trunks of trees (sometimes the same tree as a tree cricket):


None of the crickets I saw were singing, and I am ashamed to report that I didn't notice if there was any cricket song in the backyard. There were a lot of crickets singing down by the bedrock near the street in the front yard, but that is a much warmer microclimate than the backyard, at least when it's sunny, like today. Earlier this evening I stood out on the porch to look at the sky, and it was 41ºF (not much of a drop from the high today, oddly), and I could hear one cricket singing out there in the darkness.

I did check up on the new Cricket Under the Board, but I didn't take its picture today.

Not a lot of Random Bugs:


 I did see two bees today, bumblebees, but didn't get pictures of them.

 On the trunks of trees was a popular place to be today, even for the critters in today's Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Daddy-long-legs, missing a few legs.

The following two spiders were on opposite sides of the same tree:
 I think they are the same species, but male and female. I am guessing this is the female...

... and this is the male. Females, from what I have read so far, tend to be the ones with bigger abdomens, or are just bigger in general (these were both pretty small, and about the same size).

No comments:

Post a Comment