Saturday, October 31, 2015

Everything Is Unexpected

I will never figure out bug behavior. Today was quite a bit cooler than yesterday, and I could hear plenty of crickets in the backyard. I had a few unexpected bug finds, too (although, at the moment, almost all the bugs I find are unexpected).

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Wearing black and orange for Halloween, I presume.

By the way, all the pictures are kind of dark because I didn't get a chance to do my bug walk until kind of late.

Random Bugs:
 Those flies are still around, this one having a difficult time clambering up onto a stem of grass.



 This one had a more secure spot.

 Case bearing caterpillar

 Woolly aphids


 Looper - haven't seen one of those in a while


 Hopper

 Candy striped leaf hopper

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
An unusual sight - two spiders on a tree. I wonder what would happen if a bug landed right between them...

Edit to add:
 I went out a few minutes ago to try to see that spider again, and tada! It was in the middle of its web. I think I was right that it is something I haven't seen before. And I don't know what it is.

 On the way back into the house I found this jumping spider on the back porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment