Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Fast Paced Drama

I wasn't going to do a blog today, because it started raining this morning literally just as I was about to go outside (and when I use the word literally, I use it correctly, so you know this is not an exaggeration. It wasn't raining, I started walking toward the door to go outside, and when I got to the door, it was raining), and then rained all day, so I didn't get to do a bug walk. But then shortly before midnight I saw a bug marching across my living room floor, so I took its picture, and now there is a Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I know, it's a terrible picture, but the bug was moving and it was in a dark corner. It is a western conifer seedbug, a Hemiptera, and one that I renamed Darcybug for reasons too complicated to explain here. I actually spotted it in the kitchen yesterday, but it disappeared really fast so I didn't get its picture then (or get a chance to capture it for release outside).

Anyway, I took it's picture, put the camera down, and left the room for a minute, and when I came back, the bug was gone. So, once again I missed my chance to capture it and release it outside (and it's pretty nice outside - just after I took the picture I looked at the weather sensor and saw that the temperature has reached 64ºF. The high in the afternoon was in the mid-50s, but around 10:00 it started warming up. This is, I assume, because the source of the current rain is the remnants of Hurricane Patricia, which made its way all the way here from the Pacific Ocean, bringing a nice, tropical feel along with it. But I digress).  Like I said, the bug moved fast. So, I uploaded the pictures to the computer to post the Backyard Bug of the Day, and realized how horrible the pictures were, and decided I would look for the bug to try to get a better one. I still had two minutes until midnight, which is the cutoff for the Backyard Bug of the Day.

I found the bug, and... well, now it's time for Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Aaaaand, that's that. I know that many, many, many people would be horrified by my allowing spiders to live in the corners of my home, but spiders are harmless to me, and they eat other bugs. Exhibit A.

No comments:

Post a Comment