Saturday, August 22, 2015

Yes, I Know What I Said

I know I said I wasn't going to be doing this, and really I am not, but some days you get lucky, and today I got lucky in a very small way (and small ways count after the very bad luck I've had lately), and just outside my house, without even taking a bug walk, I found a cool bug at a height I could photograph under my current physical limitations.

So... Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Milkweed tussock moth caterpillar. On a milkweed plant.

I did take a walk around my backyard this morning, sans camera. It was cool and beautiful, and I saw quite a few bugs. But you'll just have to trust me on that, I guess.

That's not to say I didn't take any other bug pictures today. This next bit could be called Bug Watching From the Comfort of Your Own Couch:
 You know how I have been lamenting the lack of dragonflies buzzing around above my yard in the evenings when I sit on the back porch? Well, maybe they've been hanging around the front of the house. I was sitting on the couch, and looked up at the skylight and saw that there were dragonflies zooming around outside the window. I took a bunch of atrocious pictures...

 At times I was seeing three and four dragonflies at a time. Sometimes they seemed to be going at each other, but they may have just been targeting the same prey insects. It's hard to tell, but there are two together here.

Needless to say, this is a perfectly useless way to photograph dragonflies.

But you get the idea.

 
 You can tell this is a dragonfly, right?

There were a bunch of birds, including at least one swallow, zooming around, too. There must have been a lot of prey bugs swarming around. Or the birds were going after the dragonflies, which is also possible.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I didn't have to go looking for this jumping spider that looks like it has a red mustache. It was right on the screen door.

No comments:

Post a Comment