Friday, August 28, 2015

Murphy's Law and Bug Spotting

Today I was walking around the backyard and commented that I thought it was odd that I have not been seeing any white hickory tussock moth caterpillars. Then later...

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 White hickory tussock moth caterpillar, I think. It doesn't have the spiky bits, but this is a smallish one, so maybe they develop in later instars? It was crawling on the ground, and I can't bend down that far at the moment, so this is the best shot I could get.

Anyway, it happened again that I said I hadn't seen something, and it appeared, so... I haven't seen any stick bugs in the backyard. Or blue morpho butterflies...

I did find...
 This huge moth. Even bigger than the one the other day, by a little bit at least.

 And several of these moths - not as big, more like around an inch long. I opened the picnic umbrella this morning and there were four or five of them sheltering inside.

 Along with this wasp.

 I presume this is a milkweed bug (can't tell which species from this angle), burrowing into a milkweed seed pod.

 Pretty fly

 I am not sure if this is the thick-headed fly or a wasp... and I am too tired and lazy to look it up right now...

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Funnel web spider in the crook of a tree

No comments:

Post a Comment