Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Gold and Jewels

I'm still sick, but I managed a more thorough bug walk today. It was a hot day, but not so humid, and I saw lots of wonderful things (and photographed a few of them - sadly, none of the butterflies were inclined to pose, but it was lovely to see them), so here's what we've got today:

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 It's the one in the middle of the picture.

 Cuckoo wasp. A parasitic wasp that I think is one of the most beautiful insects in the world.



It looks like it is encrusted with jewels, and the color changes from blue to green and back again, depending on the angle of the light.

Also on the goldenrod today:
 A wedge-shaped beetle, and bees.

 There are two bees here.



 And tiny things.

 The ubiquitous ambush bugs. I found this a little confusing at first...

 Then I got a better look, and still found it confusing.


 A cloud of little gnats that were too small to see in any detail.


Random Bugs:
 Up and down don't seem to mean much to bugs. Here's a hopper nymph upside dwon...

 Here is is right side up.



 My favorite weevil

 I found this little caterpillar on the milkweed. Not a monarch, unfortunately.


 Weird little larva


 Another weevil

 Assassin

 Dragonfly


 It was quite cooperative, staying still for pictures. If only it wasn't on a branch above my head.


Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.






2 comments:

  1. Wonderfull fotos serie, greeting from Mons city in Belgium
    Blog my city: http://louisette.eklablog.com

    ReplyDelete