Monday, November 3, 2014

The Hardiest

Huzzah! The blog goes on! There was a freeze last night, but the daytime temperatures were more bug-friendly, so I managed to find a few in the yard, including something new to be Backyard Bug of the Day. I have to say, though, that it is noticeable when there is only one cricket chirping in the backyard. It sounds lonely and melancholy. There were tons of birds today, of many different species, all enjoying the fruits of fall - seeds and fruits, actually.

So today I actually have a Backyard Bird of the Day:
 Cedar waxwing. We get flocks of them occasionally as they are passing through the area. The seem to be really fond of the seeds of the black birch, but today they were actually eating the berries of the cedar tree.


Obviously I took these with the macro lens, and I couldn't get very close without the birds flying away, so not a close-up look.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I found this when I was nearly at the end of my walk, and had already given up on finding a bug to be Backyard Bug of the Day. And then I almost stepped on this walking up the front walk to go back in the house.

 It was in a hurry to get somewhere...

 I'll bet those spines are venomous...


Daily Dandelion:

Random Bugs:
 I had to look really hard to find these today.




 No matter how small you are, when you spread your wings to fly you are majestic.


 Found one of these again today. I am pretty sure now that it is a springtail, because I saw it spring. And then thought it had sprung onto my camera, though I didn't find it there.

 Lonely cricket. Not the one I heard singing, I don't think. Notice, by the way, how many of the pictures are taken on the lawn chairs again today.



 And where is this hopper being photographed? Relaxing on the hammock.



A weevil with a damaged elytrum. Note, by the way, that I called it an elytrum, not an elytra. That is because I have learned that elytra is plural, while either elytrum or elytron are used for singular. Elytron sounds like a robot, so I like elytrum. Anyway, this one has quite a hole in it, and into whatever is underneath (I can't find anything that will tell me if weevils have wings).

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 This spider was not in the backyard, but in my living room late last night. It was small, and not moving toward the couch I was sitting on, so I didn't evict it out into the freezing night.


 This spider was the first thing I found when I went out today, and it made me smile. There was another spider on the hose container with it, but that one hid before I could take its picture.

I don't know what made me check the bottom of the rain gauge, but I found a spider living there.

No comments:

Post a Comment