Sunday, November 23, 2014

It Feels Like Spring

Despite the lack of blog post, yesterday was not That Day. I didn't post because there didn't seem to be much point in posting one picture of a fly, and one picture of a gnat, and mentioning that the crickets were not singing. I was surprised that it was that kind of a day, because it was warmer than the day before (In the 40s, but hey, that's warmer). But that's how it was.

Today was even warmer, though, in the 50s and today was quite a good day in the backyard. I found some surprising bugs, and even found a Backyard Bug of the Day:
 We'll start with a bug-spotting eye test. If I could do it in the wild, you can do it on the computer.

 A very cute little hopper. This tree was oozing sap in a few places, and I wondered if the hopper was drinking it.

 I didn't get any great pictures, so choose the one that works best for you. And gaze in amazement at those purple eyes.

 I am not 100% sure this has not been BBotD yet this year, but I don't think it has, because I don't think I have seen one that looks exactly like this. Similar, but I think this is actually a new one for me.


Today was a good day for hoppers in the backyard:
 Very similar to the BBotD, but without the purple eyes.




Quite a few ladybugs around, too:
 This one's got an infection -  I posted about that ages ago, but I don't remember exactly what it is, just that it won't kill the ladybug.



There were other beetles in the yard today, too:
 This is the only look I got of this one, but I can see that it's a beetle.

 And look who's back - the rove beetle!



I didn't get to see it fold the wings up today, but I did get to see them pop out, so that's cool.

I don't know if all of the bugs I saw today are ones that hibernate, or if they are ones that will die when their life cycle runs out or it gets really cold, but for whatever reason they have come out from wherever they've been hiding lately. I wonder if the up and down weather is confusing for them. It's one thing to yo-yo around with the temperatures in the summer, but this time of year it can go from warm to literally freezing. That's got to be weird if you're a bug.

Random Bugs:

 A couple of aphids were hanging out today, but remember the one from the other day that I wasn't sure if it was alive or dead? It hasn't moved since then, so I am thinking dead. But this one is alive.



 Weevil! So unexpected to see this today.


This seems to be part of a bug...

There were quite a few tiny spiders about today - and a lot of spider silk stretched across from plant to plant. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



 Jumping spider in a silk tent. Actually, it's more like a sleeping bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment