Thursday, November 6, 2014

Looking Ahead

I think it's time to talk about the future. The future of this blog, that is, not the flying cars future, because that's still a bad idea. But as for the blog, to everything there is a season. In the case of bugs, at least at this latitude, that season is not winter, and winter is coming. Perhaps next Wednesday, when there is snow in the forecast. Not that I think that will amount to much, maybe flurries that won't stick, but the fact remains that soon I will not be able to find any bugs, because they will all be dead or dormant, or hiding somewhere warm.

So, what's going to happen with a daily blog about bugs in my backyard when there are no bugs in my backyard? Well, it will also be dormant. If there is a warm spree in December, or January, or February, and I go outside and find bugs, I'll post them. If something else interesting happens in the backyard, I'll post that too, because this was never only about the bugs. But it's not going to be an everyday thing anymore. Backyard Bug of the Day is going to stop until spring.

So, when is it going to stop? When I can't find anymore bugs. That could be tomorrow, that could be next Wednesday when it snows, or it could be in a month if we get a freak warm spell (please!). It's not today, though I don't have a Backyard Bug of the Day today because it rained all day and I couldn't take my camera out. I know there were bugs out there today, because I saw them from my window. But the blogging won't stop until I have a day when I look for bugs and don't find them (which, considering the temperature is supposed to plummet for tomorrow, very well could be then).

I do have some pictures for you today of a bug I found in my house. The notable thing about this bug is that it's dead. I don't usually take pictures of dead bugs, but I did it this time. There are people who take really fabulous pictures of dead bugs, and that's their thing, because dead bugs are easier to take pictures of. They don't move, they don't sting, they don't fly away just when you've got them in focus. But that's not my thing. Also, there aren't that many dead bugs in my house that I could sustain it for three months. Maaaaaybe a week, given the spider webs lurking here and there.

Anyway, here's a beautiful face for you:
 Okay, a beautiful face with a lot of lint stuck to it. I found this bug dead on the floor. What can I say, the floor needs sweeping at the moment.


If you want to get all forensic about it, this wasp looks like it has suffered some blunt force trauma, but I have no suspects.

Now I will just say, enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment