Thursday, November 20, 2014

Taking Inventory

Perspective shift again today: It was in the low 40s, and I thought it was a nice, warm day. Also, we don't have 6 feet of snow like they do in Buffalo, NY, so temperatures well below normal suddenly seem like a pretty good deal.

That being said, the bugs in the backyard clearly prefer weather in the 40s to weather in the 30s. I even heard crickets singing in the backyard today. And those flies, whatever they are, were swarming again, though in smaller swarms, and less frenetically. They mostly hovered over the fallen leaves in areas where we haven't raked yet.

I feel like I should just give you a pictorial inventory of what I saw today, but first I want to say that I am looking forward to Monday with great curiosity. Monday the temperature is supposed to be in the 60s, and I can't wait to find out what that means for finding bugs in the last week of November.

Bug Inventory for the Day:
 Can you spot the bug hanging on the edge of the leaf? A brief rest for one of the swarming bugs.

 Gnats were swarming, too.

 There were some pretty fierce wind gusts today. While I was taking pictures of this fly it was visibly struggling to hold onto the tree.

 A couple more aphids were around today.


 A surprise appearance by this Hemiptera. I thought I actually had found a Backyard Bug of the Day, but this has already been BBotD, and recently, too. And even pictured on this chair.




 Springtail - haven't seen one of those in a few days.



Only one arachnid to appreciate, and it's not even a spider. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment