Friday, November 28, 2014

Is This It?

I'm not sure if today was That Day or not. It snowed last night.
 Just a little, and by early afternoon the sun had melted any that was not in the shade. It was cold out, though. The weather sensor said 34ºF, but the tiny puddle where the springtails have been waterskating was frozen. And nothing was skating on it.

The reason that I don't know if it was That Day or not is because I did find something - albeit something that I already knew was there, the rain gauge spider. But I am not sure if she was still alive. Yesterday she moved when I was looking at her, but today she didn't. It's not always easy to tell when spiders or bugs are alive or dead (and not just because a lot of them play dead as a defense mechanism). Other than that, though, I didn't see any insects, spiders, or non-insect arachnids of any kind. No flies basking in the sunlight on the front of the house, nothing taking advantage of the warmer microclimate of the sun kissed bedrock. Nothing flying past me. Nothing.

Not in the backyard, anyway.

And on that note... Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Found in the dining room at about two o'clock in the morning.

 It was too large to be allowed to stay, but I waited until morning to release it outside. Of course, I didn't realize at the time how cold it was outside. I hope it found somewhere to take shelter...




No comments:

Post a Comment