Monday, April 6, 2020

Spring Blossoms

How about a look at what's blooming right now in my backyard? I took pictures of all the currently blooming flowers, and will post them, with pollinators where possible:
 The first dandelions of spring have popped up.

 The creeping myrtle has been blooming for a while. Today there were bumblebees, as usual, but also a few smaller bees, none of which landed anywhere I could even really look at them, much less take a picture. But it was nice to see them.

 I don't know what this is, but it's growing in clumps in my lawn.

 Bluets

 Forsythia with stilt bug

 Cinquefoil

 Daffodil

 Pussy willow

Backyard Bug of the Day:

 Not on a flower, and not a pollinator, this is an assassin bug, which feeds on other bugs.



Today there were flying insects zooming around all over the place mostly tiny ones that were too small for me to identify, even when they were zooming around near me. I even saw some swarms of Other Bugs:
 There was a swarm of tiny bugs around this bush for a while, quite a large swarm of quite small bugs.


 
 They may have been this kind of bug. I am not sure if it's a tiny wasp, or a fly.

 
 I saw a few wasps today.

 
 Winter firefly

 Sharpshooter, one of the most uncooperative bugs populating my backyard:


This time of year I start to see a lot of ants carrying things back to their formicary (ants' nest), either other bugs (or pieces of them) or plant matter. This one is carrying a bit of lichen:

 

 
 This one has a bit of a twig.

 I am not sure if this interaction was friendly or hostile; it was a standoff for several minutes, and then they moved off together, one pulling the other. It definitely seemed hostile at the end.

 My backyard is full of spiders right now. There are tiny webs, with tiny spiders, of more than one species. There are the ones in the leaf litter (I only saw one today), and today, quite a lot of jumping spiders. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.







No comments:

Post a Comment