Thursday, April 23, 2020

Freeze

The temperature has dropped below freezing the last couple of nights, which I believe has discouraged the bugs from coming out during the day. They were scarce yesterday and today. But today I found a couple that were my first time spotting them this year.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Brown lacewing

Other Bugs:
 First hoverfly of the year

 The snow fleas are still around. They obviously don't mind so much when it freezes overnight.

 I think this female crane fly was ovipositing, but she was much more lethargic than I normally see. I almost stepped on her because she was immobile. I saw her when I was walking in the woods, and only had my phone camera. Pity I finally found a crane fly who was willing to sit still and I didn't have my macro lens.

This moth was on the garden shed when I got back from my walk. I was too tired to go inside and get my real camera, so this is with the cellphone camera, too.

And that's it for today's bugs. I saw a few other crane flies (of different species) and a water strider in the woods, but on my bug walk the only other bug I saw was a fly that did not stay still for a photo. It was in the 50s, but it was overcast, and I think the lack of sunshine coupled with the freeze overnight kept all of the other bugs sheltered away.

No comments:

Post a Comment