Monday, April 20, 2020

Spring's Little Things

In this part of the world, springtime is slow to come to the trees. We won't have fully leafed-out spring for a few more weeks. The signs of spring are smaller, in flowers and insects, and lots of birdsong as they stake out territory and try to find mates. Walking in the woods it still looks a lot like winter, except if you notice these small things.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Flower beetle. If you know how small bluet flowers are you will know how small this beetle is.



 Interesting eyes and mouth parts.

Other Bugs:
 Spring azure butterfly


 I didn't get a good look at this, but I think it's a robber fly

 I spotted this assassin bug nymph on a tree in the woods, and from this angle there was something I didn't notice...

 ... that I could see from this angle, which is that it had caught a crane fly as prey.

I have as many species of spiders to show you as I have bugs today. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.




No comments:

Post a Comment