Saturday, May 4, 2019

Puzzling Bugs

The constant dreary weather has put me in a really foul mood, so let's just get on with the pictures.

Backyard bug of the Day:
 Larva, possibly sawfly? It's curled up in the grass, and I only found it by chance, while taking a picture of a spider.

Other Bugs:
 This wasp was on the storm door when I opened the front door in the morning. I would normally have gone outside to take a picture of it from there, too, but I didn't want to disturb the robin sitting on her nest on the wreath on the front porch.

 I found another large springtail (large being a relative term. It's still tiny), but this one is a pattern I have seen many times.

 I have no idea what is going on here. This bee is, well, it looked like it was stuck to this plant. When I saw it I thought at first that it was in the grip of a spider or a predatory bug of some kind, but no, it was just... there. Hanging on with its mouth. And I thought it was dead, but it did start moving while I was taking pictures of it, moving its front legs, and then later flexing its body a little bit. It's puzzling, for sure.

There was a muddy puddle on the driveway from all the rain last night, and there were a bunch of bugs skimming across the surface of the water:
 They are hard to see–they were so fast I could not focus on them, and even getting the shot off before they zoomed out of view was tricky.




 Candy striped leaf hopper

 The flowering crab apple was disappointingly devoid of bees, for the most part.


 

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 This was the spider I was photographing when I happened to see the larva that became BBotD. I accidentally stuck my face through its web, and it dropped to the ground in an attempt to get away from my big, clumsy self.

 I haven't received any packages lately that were too big for the mailbox, which is a good thing, because there is a spider living in the package bin:
 
 If any packages are put in there they will destroy its web, which covers about half of the opening near the top.

 

 This fly is living dangerously...


No comments:

Post a Comment