Thursday, May 16, 2019

Firsts

I lost track of time today when I was outside doing my bug walk. I have no idea how long I was out there, though I think it was longer than usual. I was surprised at the time when I finished and went inside, because I had just been enjoying my stroll. For the time spent I don't have a lot of bug pictures to show for it, but it was a lovely day, and I was outside enjoying it, which is really all that matters. There's just something about the bright green leaves of spring against a bright blue, sunny sky
I did see two non-bug interesting things today. First, Backyard Amphibian of the Day:
This is the first toad I have seen this spring. I have been wondering when I would see one, figuring they must be enjoying how wet this spring has been, but perhaps not how cold. I have heard peepers, but this is the first amphibian I have actually seen.


Then I spotted two chickadees near this dead tree. I was on the other side of it, and saw one of the chickadees land on this side and appear to be poking around, and I realized that they probably had a nest in the tree:
So, when the chickadee flew off, I walked around, and there's the hole. I didn't get closer (couldn't, really), so I don't know if there are young birds inside. I didn't hear any when the bird was there. I think this may be the first time in my life I have seen a bird other than a woodpecker nesting in a tree cavity. I am aware that they do; any bird that builds in a bird house is one that prefers a cavity for a nest, as opposed to one on a tree branch (or as is the case on my front porch right now, on top of a wreath hanging on a wall). I even knew that chickadees must be cavity nesters, because I know they build in bird houses. But for all the nests I have seen in bird houses, and knowing that without the houses they would build in holes in trees, I have never actually seen it done. This, however, is why I leave dead trees standing in my yard, as long as they are not a danger. Habitat loss is a problem for a lot of species of birds, including nesting habitat, and one small part of that problem is the removal of dead trees. So... I leave them for the birds, and the birds have taken advantage of this one, which makes me very happy, and makes me feel less regret for the death of this tree.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
This was really small, and really feisty. I am surprised I got even this good a picture. But it looked like something new, and I didn't really have a lot of other choices. I can't tell if it's some kind of fly, or a tiny wasp, or what.

Other Bugs:
Much of what I saw in the backyard today were members of the order Coleoptera, which are beetles. And mostly they were sort of like sentries posted on top of things.

I saw a lot of click beetles looking like sentries.


This beetle was posed like a sentry at the top of this twig before I tried to take its picture. I noticed while I was looking at it through the camera that there was something else on the other side of the twig, that I did not like to see, but it was another season's first:
Tick. The first one I have seen all year, which is pretty shocking, really. Usually they appear pretty much any time the weather gets into the 40s (F). Those splayed out legs are trying to grab me. Let's just say that the tick did not harm me in the end, but I can't make the same claim about what I did to the tick. My no-kill policy doesn't apply to them, either.

Another beetle keeping watch.

Beetle

Six-spotted tiger beetle eating an ant.

Bee and beetle on a dandelion

I took this picture because I thought the plant looked interesting, and it was only when I looked at it on the computer that I noticed the bugs on it.

When I spotted this, and even when I took the picture, I thought this was a gypsy moth caterpillar:
It was in a shadowy spot. I squished it after I took its picture, because my no-kill policy for bugs does not apply to gypsy moth caterpillars.

I lightened up one of the pictures, though, and I don't think it was a gypsy moth caterpillar, so now I feel bad for squishing it.

This is a gypsy moth caterpillar. Notice the line of dots. They don't have those right away, this must be a second instar.

Lace bug. The lace bug I posted a picture of yesterday was one that I found specifically because I was looking for it; there is a tree where I can often find them, and have for years, and I looked on the leaves of that tree specifically to find a lace bug yesterday. This one I found by chance in another part of the backyard (different species of tree, too).

I have two pictures like this today of different species:
Bumblebee flying out of the picture, hovering around the leaf litter

Another species of bee flying out of the picture, hovering around the leaf litter

A better look at a wood anemone than the ones I got yesterday. With gnat.


I saw what I think are new species for me, which I very much appreciate for Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I think this is a species of jumping spider I have never seen before.


I love the green legs!

Six-spotted orb weaver.


I think this particular part of spring must be frustrating and challenging for orb weavers:
There is a tree (black birch?) that sends its seeds out into the world on bits of fluff that float through the air... and get stuck in spider webs. I always imagine this must annoy the spiders, because it makes their webs more obvious, and I would think more easily avoidable by prey insects. This one has caught some, though. Also, not the green background, and the tiny glimpse of blue sky...

This might be a new species for me, too, but I am not sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment