Saturday, May 11, 2019

Making an Attempt

Hi there, backyard bug aficionados. I am not really back to form yet, but I did try to do a bug walk today. It wasn't terribly successful, but I enjoyed the walk in my backyard. It seems like most of the trees burst into life overnight, and suddenly I have my lovely, green oasis back.

Part of my problem with finding bugs today was that, as is usual, lately, most of the bugs were at ground level. It's kind of hard for me to take pictures that way at the moment. Still, I did get a few for one particular bug, because it seemed worth the effort. I think it is a new bug for me, too. Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is some kind of ground beetle; I couldn't identify it exactly from my book, but there are a few that look like this. At first I thought it was two smaller beetles, with one latched onto the other from behind. It came barreling across the front walk right in front of me, and then disappeared into the grass.

 Check out those mandibles!

A few seconds later it rushed back out again, with an ant riding on its back.

 Finally it got rid of the ant.

Unusual view of a winter firefly as it crawls up the window. Note the lack of light organs. Also, note the green and blue background, blue sky and green leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment