Sunday, July 1, 2018

Come to the Light

I did not do a bug walk today. I'm sorry. It was just so hot, I couldn't bear the thought of being outside. I turned on the porch light after dark to see if I could attract any interesting bugs, and that was my substitute bug walk. It was still pretty hot by 10:00 at night (it had just dropped below 80ºF), and very humid, and there were a lot of bugs that gathered on the porch. Most of them I could not get pictures of; a lot of them were on the ceiling, and a lot of them were moths that were flying around the light fixture. But I got a small sampling, which includes bugs from a variety of orders.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Moth

 There were several green lacewings. I don't think I have ever seen more than two together.

 Some kind of Hemiptera

 Moth

 This one was actually on the back porch; my husband was grilling out there, so the light was on and attracted a lot of these tiny, green hoppers. You can gauge the size of it from the window screen.

 Beetle

 Cockroach

 I think this is a toad hopper. Or a spittle bug.

 A couple of beetles on the screen door. The bottom one is a click beetle.

Fish fly

 I sometimes see insects with damaged antennae, and I wonder how that affects them. Is the length redundant, more than they need? Do they notice a difference in their perception? Is it harder for them to find food, or mates, or avoid predators?




No comments:

Post a Comment